The third eye and its lure is a popular subject amongst the conscious, metaphysical, and new-age crowds. With popularity and awareness comes misinformation and confusion. This article will provide you with information that may be contradictory to what you think you know about the third eye.
The third eye is the mystical name given to the pineal gland. For years modern scientists and doctors considered the pineal gland to be a part of the body that has no function. Nowadays it is widely accepted that the pineal not only has functions but is a major gland that plays a significant role in the body. Some of these functions include the production of melatonin, serotonin, DMT, and setting the circadian rhythm or the sleep-wake cycle.
Located in the geometric center of the brain the pineal gland is associated with the 6th energy center called the ajna chakra. The ajna or brow chakra is an upper energy hub that is associated with discerning truth from illusion, spiritual insight, and psychic abilities. The third eye’s color correspondence is violet and is above the throat chakra and under the crown chakra.
Now that we have covered some basic and generally accepted information regarding the third eye, let’s outline some myths of the 3rd eye.
Myths of the Third Eye
- Your third eye is all the way closed. The pineal gland becomes calcified the older you get but this does not mean your third eye is all the way closed. Calcification can happen by unhealthy diets, fluoride in water, lack of a spiritual practice, and low-vibratory thinking. There are levels of “opening,” in regards to the third eye, from a small crack to being fully activated or open. But, to say the third eye is all the way closed would be somewhat misleading.
- You can open your third eye quickly. There are things you can do to activate and open the third eye more quickly but, for most people this is a practice and gradual process through meditation, soft martial arts, breathing techniques, crystals, sun gazing etc. Most people are not going to take a form of DMT or go into a dark cave for days or weeks which can rapidly open the third eye.
- The third eye is NOT literally an eye. Actually the pineal gland has a lens, cornea, and retina. These are the same physiological components that make up the physical eyes. Your physical eyes are light sensitive and so is the pineal gland. Every chakra has an elemental correspondence and the third eye chakra is associated with Light. The third eye is named such because it is our spiritual eye or sight.
- Every third eye experience is the same. This is another misnomer. Third eye experiences are very broad and wide-ranging. You can experience anything from intuition to astral travel to visions or even inter-dimensional communication. Even dreaming is a third eye experience. We have similar dreams but not exact in nature. Everyone will not have the same third eye experiences.
- The third eye is evil. Many people think the third eye is only tied to secret societies or the Illuminati. This assumption is primarily based off the third eye symbolism with the pyramid on the back of the US one-dollar bill. Actually, the symbolism of the third eye can be found in Ancient Egypt (Kemet) as the eye of Heru (Horus), Ancient Sumeria, and Ancient Hindu chakra system.
Written by S. Ali Myers
Share anywhere you like but please provide a link back to this article and credit authorship (by S. Ali Myers).
FREE Meditation MP3 when you join our mailing list!